path="2009/11/02";mycolor="0d3832";mycolor2="180018";mycolor3="ffffff";autoplay="true";"rand=0";f="4";vol="100";pat="2";grad="true";ow="219";oh="35"/>

- "All Hallows Even"

Ah, Halloween.


What a night for a paranormal enthusiast !!!.. "most likely getting it's origin from the Celtic New Year called Samhain (pronounced so-wein) which was observed on October 31 by the ancient Druids to celebrate the end of summer. It was believed that on that night, the veil between the world of the dead and the world of the living was at its thinnest. The spirits of all who died the preceding year would haunt the land in search of (living) people to possess and to escape the uncertain afterlife. To avoid possession, the living would dress up in ghoulish costumes and parade around in an attempt to scare off the spirits. The parade was also meant to distract the spirits and lead them out of the area.

The name "Halloween" is a corruption of All Hallows Even which was the night before the Catholic observance of All Saints Day, a day for commemorating the saints. The Roman Church took events from Samhain and made it their own holiday." (from xprojectmagazine.com)

"The colours black and orange have become associated with the celebrations, perhaps because of the darkness of night and the colour of fire or of pumpkins, and maybe because of the vivid contrast this presents for merchandising. Another association is with the jack-o'-lantern. Halloween activities include trick-or-treating, wearing costumes and attendingcostume parties, ghost tours, bonfires, visiting haunted attractions, pranks, telling scary stories, and watching horror films." (from wikipedia.com)

SOOOOOOOOOOOOO.. THAT'S what I did !!! Not having little children to take trick or treating, I took in a movie.. not just ANY movie, mind you... THIS ONE !!!!!!!!



Paranormal Activity - Trailer
by dreadcentral

I purposely didn't do a lot of research prior to seeing the film so that I could watch it without any bias whatever. All I knew going in was that it was a "no-budget, bad mockumentary of a horror movie" that was produced in 2007 and premiered at the Screamfest Film Festival that year. I now know that isn't entirely true.

Now, I'm no film critic but "no-budget" was obvious as the film quality and editing were lacking - unless that was the intent. Not to mention, the movie takes place in a single location - which is apparently the director's own home (very nice one at that). AND, there are only 4 (5, if you count the spirit) in the cast.

But, as an amateur paranormal enthusiast, I really liked this film and am glad they dusted it off (kudos to Paramount !!!) Apparently I'm not the only one. Certainly the timing of the general release 2 weeks before Halloween has a lot to do with it's success, but I'd bet that no one would have imagined that as of October 30th gross sales would be over $66,000,000 (whew, split THAT 4 ways) and it has achieved the status of most profitable independent film ever. I believe it.

I won't go into detail for those that haven't seen it, but the basic plot is a young couple moves into a new house that is seemingly haunted (ho hum, right?). HOWEVER, it isn't the house that is haunted.... It's the girl !!!!!!! (sound familiar ???) Some time into the story the girl discloses that she has experienced paranormal phenomena ever since she was a child. The entire movie is shown through the viewfinder of the boyfriend's video camera, which he has purchased to try to videotape the activity.

Although I'm a novice at this stuff, the depiction seemed very accurate based on my research so far. The hauntings follow an escalating pattern much like the list I described in my last post... starting as "common phenomena" - noises, doors moving, objects (keys) being moved - advancing to "moderate phenomena" - seeing shadows, witnessing doors being closed, hearing voices (EVP) and culminating in "extreme phenomena" - negative energy, slamming doors, footprints (the boyfriend covered the floor with powder), physical contact and even possession.

As I watched (and analyzed) the movie, I was definitely in belief that this pattern was accurate. I was also thinking that I'm glad that MY ghost hasn't advanced further up the "activity list". And I certainly hope that it doesn't now.

The one criticism that I do have is with the "scientist" that the couple contacted for help. Although referred to as a "psychic", he stated that his area of expertise was with ghosts and told the couple they had a demon, so he couldn't help them. There wasn't really any foundation at that point as the activity was "only" in the common stage. I guess the lay person could read into the fact that he was a psychic so he knew, but a mention of credentials and/or background could go a long way here. He DID ask all the classic questions as I previously outlined....

In researching the movie now that I've seen it, it appears there were 3 possible endings. In reading the other 2 scenarios, the film ends the only way it could have to retain it's credibility.... I wouldn't say it's a "horror" movie (although I DON'T scare easily) as all the critics call it, but it's definitely a classic "paranormal activity" movie - A MUST SEE !!!! .... and, get ready for a sequel....

HAPPY H(A)UNTING !!!

0 screams: